6.23.2006

D a v i d___H l y n s k y

"His 1970s photography was primarily concerned with objects of the everyday, highlighting the banal by the sheer obsession of his careful photographic technique in series such as Salvage (1981)." "The 1990 series, Windows through the Curtain, consists of photographs capturing the artist’s reaction to communist Poland and the former Czechoslovakia, where "my most powerful sensation was that these streets were somehow more 'real' than I had imagined. East Bloc citizens were largely occupied by the same routines as my neighbours at home: eating, working and maintaining relationships" (1990)." (The last paragraph is not relating to this particular body of work, I don't think, rather it speaks to things I've really been married to.) You can read more about him as well as see his work here. Or check out the broad website which features various Canadian artists of European origin.

-Izab
el

No comments: