10.31.2007

Jiří Černický

But I wanted them whole, including the roots- no rarity should ever be destroyed. So I asked him to use my cerulean hair brush to comb out his hair during the rest of my stay in Berlin. Six months later I received the brush with the last strands of hair.
- Cernicky

Jiri, in his art and writing, is a perfect example of sweet, sincere, unadulterated communication. He makes intensely personal work so accessible and interesting. Besides that, his website is one of the most enjoyable I've come across in a hell of a long time. His work spans so many different discussions, from ideas of memory and sentimentality, to, for those of your more politically inclined, extensive social commentary. Most of his artistic endeavors are accompanied by really fantastic stories.

He writes:
Once I had a quarrel with my girlfriend. She was sad and had a pretty bad bout of depression. I wanted to make it up to her and please her. I tried by decorating the hood of a limousine, rented from a company that loans out such fancy cars for weddings, with her glorious little body.

"...it becomes obvious that Černický is an original exponent of the contemporary Czech art scene. He is the winner of the Jindřich Chalupecký Prize and the Soros Prize. As regards art disciplines, Černický expresses himself with a broad spectrum of media, from classic painting through objects to videos. When not globetrotting, he can be reached in Prague." -Kontakt

No comments: