6.01.2006

Americana, Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb


Once again I find myself with my ass planted on the seat for “Confession Time”. It's hard to write these things with any sense of decency. You just always feel like an asshole, that fact is universal. In other words, you have to come to terms with being a young, irrational nimrod and hope that you can skate by on your apologies and retractions.

My situation, the one that requires apologies and retractions, is rooted in the hatred of American culture. You see, at fourteen, I hated my parents. By eighteen I acquired considerably meatier enemies, namely American government and American culture. I hated the media, the suburbs, the cars, the lawns, children, schools, American flags. For all intents and purposes, I hated pugs and butterflies, and most definitely SUV's. And although I still have plenty of reservations about the sports utility vehicle for people who are not interested in sports or utilities (or vehicles), somehow, the American flags, schools, children, lawns and general details began to fascinate me much more than I ever thought possible. They did so not because of their idealized form, but because of their absolutely average, tired, pissed off, rusted or hillariously mad existence. After spending at least two hours looking through the found photograph website I realized that I, a Polish immigrant to the States who felt neither Polish nor American and who somehow felt pressure to reject this country, really liked front lawn American flag displays, and those front porch ducks that people dress in team jerseys.

I realized that my pessimism was slowly being replaced by fascination, and that my elitism was slowly replaced by curious inclusiveness.


Motherfucker!” i thought, “I have completely lost my edge!”

It is true. I have.

But I have to confess, once you give up the edges you realize the extent of the flattland.


L,

-i.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone is fascinated with american culture, you just didnt like it then because it was popular to like so you were against it, but now its hip to hate it so you like. Kind of like me and guacamole. Everyone I know used to like it, and I kind of did but was afraid to endulge because of social appearances. Now Ive come to terms with loving it, and now I cant get enough. And I feel more at peace about it then ever. So cheers to civil defense drills, apple pie and the forth of july, and your love for it.

The L

Anonymous said...

You definately lost your edge. I saw it coming the moment you said that the Jeep was "for me". Wise words, but unexpected from your eco-friendly Zuitsuit.

hydrocoil said...

I don't know if I say that it's hip to hate it so I love it. Maybe there is some truth in that. Hell, I always enjoy a good round of self deprecation. I had this epiphany, though, after spending a good two or three hours staring at this website. http://www.10eastern.com/foundphotos/ . And, truth be told, anything can be 'hip' so long as you defend your taste in it with enough vigor and make it sound like all of the other bastards are missing out. So cheers to guacamole, bad whisky, great vodka and scissors. Scissors are the new typewriters.

Best of!
-i.

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear your voice without an undercurrent of anger.

Edge is often confused with passion or panache, when, in reality, it's more akin to angst. Loosing edge is like getting rid of an unwecome houseguest. More power to ya!

Hope you're doing well.
If not, keep your chin up.


Corinne

hydrocoil said...

Corinne...
man, it's good to hear from you. If you're ever strolling through Costello, feel free to give me a knock or a call. (8081921)

-i.